Off to Broadway again - 3 of us plus Andy D who has been slaving away at Toddington machining the couplings to join the tappet blades to the electric lock bars, but more of this later.
The Block shelf in the signal box needed additional support to remove its tendency for lateral movement and a central column for vertical support. This central support doubles up as a cable duct to cover the multitude of wires that will eventually feed down from the shelf. Here's the wooden box support which has been assembled and painted since lat week - note that it has a hinged cover to provide access from the window side
Some holes needed in the floor to feed the cabling through, John P in action with a 25 mm dia cutter - 2 holes should suffice - after measuring , a pilot hole tells us that we are missing the joists below
Then into position and adjust for vertical. A couple of screws through the Block shelf and two into the floor to secure it into place.
Having now got a pretty sturdy vertical set up we now need a bracket to stop horizontal movement. Here's one we made earlier
This has been attached to the side of the Block shelf and the central window frame and provides a very rigid fixing - it is now impossible to move the shelf in any direction even with a hefty push.
Meanwhile down below in the locking room Malcolm and Andy D were checking the fit of the newly machined couplings and pins to the tappet blades at each position where an electric lock is to be fitted.
The bars which operate the locks and attach to these couplings have to be lined up for the coupling holes to be drilled and dowel pins fitted - note that these are then secured with split pins
This jigsaw to be continued.
I found a spare signal wire adjuster before departing for Broadway this morning and took a shot to hopefully give a better view of what one looks like. The central screw has a length of about 2 feet and provides a significant amount of adjustment. Operated by a removable handle on the top (not shown) which raises or lowers the looped bar below.